Page 21

He said there was a gun beside the bed head, and asked me to take it down. I saw the gun between the bed head and the wall, and the stock was lying on the floor, broke beside the lock. He told me to take the gun and put it out of gate. He said it was broke. He whispered when he said so. He told me I might put it on the stable loft or any way out of gate. I took the gun down stairs and placed it on the stable loft. It was the same gun that William took out of the house the night before, as I before stated. After breakfast my brother William and I went out of the house into the fold. He told me he had been out the night before and the gamekeeper had come to him; that the gamekeeper told him he was to stand and he kent (knew) him; that he (William) ran down the hill and that as he ran down the gamekeeper shot at him with a double barrelled pistol; that the gamekeeper got to him and telt him that he had a different man to lake with than he ever had before; that he got the gun from him (William) and fired it off; that they had a scuffle and William got the gun from him again. William said he struck the gamekeeper with the small end of the gun. He did not tell me how often he struck at him, but he struck till he broke it. He said to took the stock and struck him till he thought he was dead. He said he then came very near home. He named the spot; he called it Wally Brough; it is at the end of Coombs wood. He said that when he got to Wally Brough he missed his shot belt. He went back and found it, and a pistol lying alongside the man. He got his shot bag, and put it in his pocket. He gathered the pistol up. He said he trailed the man away into the river. He said he never got such a sweat in his life. He said he threw the pistol into the water. That is all that I can recollect him saying till the Monday. I did not hear from any one else until Sunday evening that Simpson the gamekeeper was missing. In the evening, John Hogarth came into the house, whilst the prisoner, my brother William, my brother Joseph and myself were there. John Hogarth said, in the presence and hearing of my brother William, that the gamekeeper was lost. No further remark was make that I am aware of. I think it was about four o’clock in the afternoon that John Hogarth told us the gamekeeper was missing. Soon after that, we all went out of the house together, along with George Wilson. We went to John Relph’s, of Cross House. George Wilson said he would go in and ask where they were looking for the man. My brother William was then with us. George Wilson went into Cross House, and came out saying there was nothing but women people in; that they had told him that they were looking somewhere about the low side.

We went down the road into Crowdy Knowe; we thought we would find some of them hunting about. We did not see anybody then. We went down to Eden Banks. We then went into Nunnery Walks, and turned up by the dairy a bit. Before we got to the road we met John Relph, and he told us they had not found the man. I went to Eden Banks about eight or nine o’clock  on Monday morning with John Hogarth, Thomas Wilson and others, to search for the gamekeeper. William was not there then. I saw the place on Eden Banks where there was some blood, bits of brain and pieces of skull lying. It was about 40 yards off the Crowdyknowe-gate. Whilst we were standing at the place where the blood was found, William Graham came through the Crowdyknowe-gate into Eden Banks with a young horse, which he was leading. After William came through  the gate into Eden Banks, Bob Winter took hold of his horse and William went to see the spot where the blood was. I took hold of the horse and led it into Crowdy Knowe. I took the horse home. My brother William, old Robert Hogarth and Robert Winter followed me up to Jane Close. I heard some of them talking behind. When we got on to the Armathwaite road, William joined me and we went home together. We got home between 11 and 12 o’clock and we had our dinners.